Wednesday, July 15, 2009

edu3234 le morte d' Arthur


On 14 July 2009, we were instructed to answer questions from Sir Thomas Malory’s work, “Le Morte d’Arthur”. I searched on the internet for the resources. King Arthur, the main character in this story is believed as legendary British leader, he led the defence of Britain against Saxon invaders in the early 6th century. He befriended with wizard Merlin and became the King of Britain by pulling the enchanted sword “Excalibur” out of the stone of destiny. He was said established an empire over Britain, Ireland, Iceland, Norway and Gaul (France) during the early 6th century.

Actually, by reading information from the internet about this text surprised me as I have never been exposed to England legends before. Then, I remembered about quite a few movies in the cinema that had the same character as this legend. The name “King Arthur” and “Wizard Merlin” are quite famous as I have heard these two names before in the movies. To me, this information was really helpful as I began understand England’s history, which in my opinion, quite interesting to learn about it. I only remembered two movies that relates to this legend, one of them is The Da Vinci Code and another one is Tristan and Isolde.
I think that such information is helpful for English teacher-to-be like me since I can share this information with my students. It is indeed important for us to know this as it will broaden our knowledge about the historical background of native English speakers.

No comments: