Friday, July 24, 2009

edu 3234 zoo story

On 21 July 2009, Dr Jaya entered our class and promoted ICELT, a conference organized by him. I do not think I managed to go there since I have already faced financial problem. After all, I felt so embarrassed to ask money from my sister. I need to carefully organize my budget for this semester so that the money would be enough until this semester ends. Miss Dzeelfa started the class quite late this evening. She discussed on the text I received earlier this morning. After the first reading, I failed to make sense of the story. I am also unable to understand the gist of idea of it. Then, Miss Dzeelfa’s explanation about the playwright made me realized that I have heard of the name Edward Albee before. He is the one who wrote ‘The Sandbox’, a play that I learnt in the previous semester. Edward Albee is famous for his theatre of absurd.

On the second reading of the reading, I managed to trace a few important details in the play and i felt relieved that I finally understood the storyline of this play. Then, we were asked by Miss Dzeelfa to create three supporting details from the text to support a given thesis statement, “Jerry’s death signifies the birth of his pride and dignity.”At first, my group was able to find two supporting details to support it. Fortunately before the presentation started, a group member of mine suggested the line that is suitable as the third supporting detail.

The last part of the lesson is the discussion of the questions stated by Miss Dzeelfa in the handouts given. For me, it is silly to create a scene in which you force somebody to kill you. Life is so precious and we should not end our life like that. After all, I think Edward Albee is such a brilliant person since he managed to come out with that story. The unexpected event is beyond my thinking.

No comments: