Friday, August 14, 2009

edu3234 letters and diaries


We learnt about letter and diary on 13 August 2009. We were given letters of John Keats to his fiancée, Fanny Brawne. Actually, that day I discovered new information about him that is Keats suffered from a type of illness which makes him unable to stand bad weather in England. Miss Dzeelfa said that he had to move to Rome and continue his life there. Then, I realized in term of relationship, John Keats’s move to Rome strengthen his relationship with Brawne . This situation was different from me as I did not like long distance relationship. Then, I just thought that this difference is what makes this world a wonderful place to live in.Another letter that I studied is also related to Keats as this is a friend-to-friend letter from Keats to Mr. Shelly, his dear friend. In his letter, he appreciated Shelly’s advice to him. As I read the whole letter, I became conscious of Keat’s characteristic, he is actually a humble person. Miss Dzeelfa also told me that Keats respects Shelly as well.


After that, I learnt about diary, a popular work of fiction. “The Andy Warhol Diaries” belongs to Andy Warhol himself. He was born Andy Warhola in Prague. In his diary, he makes fun of people around him. He teased Hollywood lifestyle in cynical and lively tone. However, I wondered about his relationship with Hollywood; who is he? Is he also a prominent figure? Why I have never heard of him name before? Then, I thought that he must be someone of importance in Hollywood as he can describe vividly the occasions and events in Hollywood. I am so interested in his diary because I found out that he knew many Hollywood famous figures such as Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Gere. Maybe the reason is because and I like to entertainment section in daily newspaper.Miss Dzeelfa told us that Warhol never wrote his own diary but he asked his secretary to do it for him. Every day, he called up his secretary and asked her to jot down what happened to him in the previous day.


Lastly, I learnt about Kafka’s diary. His diary was written in Germany from the year of 1910 until 1923. The tone of his diary is depressing as it depicted his casual observations, details of daily life, reflections of philosophical ideas, accounts of dreams and ideas for stories. I noticed a repeated sentence in his diary; “I must say that my education has done me great harm in some respects.” He then questioned profoundly isolated, failed relationship and an attempt to provoke his stalled creativity. He mocked old family photographs as he claimed that the people in those photographs stand there to take photo because “they do not know what to do with each other.” Both letters and diaries can be useful means to expose student to English Language because sometimes they feel too bored to read stories or poems during literature lesson. This two texts gives them more choices on what they can learn. Letters and diaries also sometimes provides new perspectives of the world since every writers' opinion might differ from each other.The class ended after the discussion is over.

No comments: