Monday, January 28, 2008

introduction of drama

in this class, my lecturer gives me handout about overview of the history of theatre. In semester 2, i have taken a subject,"Introduction to Critical Appreciation". This subject gives me some input about drama thus before entering this class, i already have clues on what i am going to learn that day. my lecturer explains about history of english drama from Greek period until 20th century drama. i found out that there are a lot of changes happens to drama ever since. In Athen the plays mostly about Athenian ruler who is considered by his people as a great ruler. "Oedipus Rex" is one the the plays that portrays such situation. After that , drama moves to talk about religion , specifically Christian. Then, the plays is conquered by William Shakespeare and a few other playwrights. They talked about moral of the people. Next is the restoration of drama.The plays is being performed for high class people in the society. However, at 20th century, drama is being forgotten since new forms of literary works such as poetry emerged. I learnt in this class that there are two types of drama,tragedy and comedy. At first, i am quite confused with this two terms but after my lecturer gives example of tragedy and comedy, i can differentiate them well. Other than that, my lecturer teaches me on the conventions of theatre such as acts, scenes, space and also stage directions.

No comments: