Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Shakespeare Wallah

This play is about the life of a British family in India. The family of Buckingham comes to India to perform plays by Shakespeare. They travel all over India in order to introduce Indian people to Shakespeare’s play. They arrived at India right after India gains its dependent from British. In this play, Tony Buckingham, his wife and daughter takes part in performing Shakespeare’s play until one day, they meet Sanju. Sanju likes to watch Shakespeare’s play. Other than that, Sanju also falls in love with the daughter of Mr. Buckingham, Lizzie Buckingham. Their love can be considered as mutual love as Lizzie also loves him. However, there are obstacles in their love since Sanju also likes Manjula, a Bollywood star. After Manjula knew about Sanju’s love toward this British woman, she makes fuss during the play by the family of Buckingham. Her arrival there disrupt peoples’ attention to the play and thus forces the play to stop as people in the theatre room start to make noise and then hit each other. As a result of Manjula’s action, Sanju scolded her. In this play, the love between Lizzie and Sanju breaks whenever Lizzie went back to England. It looks like Sanju just want to have fun with her and he is not ready to make commitment with her. This play portrays love between people of different culture and different background. The difference that exists makes their love impossible to go on.
While I watch this play, I rarely understand what the story is all about. The only thing that I know is the setting is in India as I can see Indian dance and Indian people in the movie. I also enjoy the song played in the movie and I feel that I know this song. The song is familiar to me but I assume that I listen to this song while I watch Bollywood movie with my father a long time ago. I am impressed to know that I still remember the rhythm of the song.

No comments: